Saturday, January 3, 2009

Quiet day--again!

At least I got out to the fabric store. I think we could have had a quilters' guild meeting in the line around the cutting table, and again at the till. I bought thread and batting, and even that came to more than I had actually wanted to spend. The rest of the day was spent trying to put together hand outs for the class I'm teaching next Saturday. I knew what I wanted to talk about, but I needed to find a way of presenting it that would be new and fresh to the students. The topic is colour, and I'm sure they've had the colour wheel up the ying yang. I found a book that was obviously written in the a "Flower child" era. All peace and love and do your own thing. Very good information, and a phenomenal section on the history of colour theory, but the language was so obviously dated. A second book was aimed at quilters, and the class is mainly embroiderers, but I think the format of this book will be what I base my class on. An interesting way of looking at what we do with colour rather than just the theory of how we analyze it. The class is actually on low water immersion fabric dyeing, but I need to talk about something while we wait for the dye to work. It's going to be a lengthy hand out, as I'll have to give instructions for the dyeing as well an info on colour. I have a couple of exercises planned, as well, to help fill the time.

Today is the funeral. My sisters (also both God Daughters)are probably not going to be able to make it--one because of distance and the other because of the weather--but our son is planning on being there. He is friends with one of her grandchildren, and had been friends for about 3 years before they became aware of any connection. It will be a good chance to re-connect with friends and relatives. But so very sad that it takes a funeral for that to happen.

No comments: