Friday, January 16, 2009

Naming Work

It's always a hassle for me to come up with a title for the many finished pieces I have. A design came to me out of the blue this week, and it's just about finished. I should have a picture later today. Anyway, looking at it all I could think of was worms--not a great title for a piece. Given how cold it's been ( I can't believe that I said to DH this morning "it's only 24 below") I also thought of Ice worms. Then I remembered that this is the title of a Robert Service poem. So I hauled out my book of Robert Service poems and looked it up. His worms were even blue, just like mine. The piece is now called "Ice Worm Cocktail". I resisted the urge to sew on red buttons to represent the eyes.

My Dad was very fond of Robert Service, but not the better-known poems. I can remember Dad laughing over "Bessie's Boil". I also know that the first stanza of "The Cremation of Sam McGee" has come to represent every emotion usually associated with the North. I've tried to memorize it over the years, and just never could. A friend actually used words from it in a piece of embroidery that she did. I wonder if there might not be inspiration for other art pieces in his work- but maybe not in "Bessie's Boil".

Have to get ready for a Quilters' Guild meeting tonight. Again I have two full boxes to take with me. When will I learn?!

No comments: