Monday, January 12, 2009

Sunday turned oout to be more of a "putter-y" day. I played around with a design trying to get it onto paper and out of my head. Once I had actually drawn it out, I realized that it looked like a piece of contrived crap. I still think the concept works, so I'll play with it a little more today. I'm going to try painting fusible web with metallic paint and then fuse it onto a background to work some applique over. I've done this with silk paper to good effect, and I'm hoping that with something thin and fused, I can needle felt part of the design.

I made one more low water immersion (LWI) dyed piece. Most of my pieces are very dark in value, and I'm trying to find some way of achieving the crystalline pattern of the LWI, but in a lighter value, more suitable for use as a background. It's not happening. But now, between the class, and my play, I've used all of the fabric I had scoured, so have to do some more today, if I can. It's interested that I've always questioned why other dyers I've heard of, spend so much time dyeing , but don't ever seem to use any of their fabric in producing finished product. Well, I seem to be in the same boat now. I'm producing fabric, but no actual pieces as a result of all that effort.

No comments: