Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Re-purposing

The machine embroidery on my piece "Heat" is finally finished. This was somewhat of an experiment in free motion embroidry using a straight stitch and rayon thread. While I've been working on it, one of my internet groups actually started a thread on the exact topic. And here I thought I was inventing something new! Just as my Aunt Margaret used to say " there is nothing new under the sun". In any case, it isn't as specatular as I had hoped. Despite great dialogue with the colour wheel, the colour indicated wasn't available, so I used yellow--in four different shades--with "slime green", electric blue, and purple accents. I also found out that a single layer of stabilizer isn't enough to prevent ripples, when the sewing is so intense. So rather than putting out money to frame something that isn't worth framing, I think I'm going to turn it into the front of a tote bag. I can still use it as a sample for my 2010 class.

This morning I'm going to a breakfast meeting with my small dyers group. I really don't have a lot to take, but I think I'm going to take along the dyeing kits I bought for use with wool and silk. This group is really into cotton, but I just haven't been doing that lately. Speaking of that, I noticed the bottles of diluted fabric paint sitting on the bar. These have to be used within the next month or so, or they will be beyond. I think six months is the outside limit for viable paint, and I'm up to three months now.

This time of year is always busy. I wonder if we try to deal with the weather by saying "up your--you're not going to stop me"and get involved in a frenzy of activity. I have all sorts of deadlines coming at me, and I'm not really getting anything done in the studio. So that means it's time for more lists. If nothing else they help me sort things out in my mind. And somehow, I have to get back into some sort of work routine.

No comments: