Friday, January 23, 2009

Lizards done!

The machine embroidery is all done and the whole piece worked into a tote bag. Once I had the embroidery done, I knew that the piece just wasn't good enough to justify framing. But-once it was finished and I took a good look at it I realized that there was one thing I could have done differently. I made up the bag with the lizards as the front, but set out in a horizontal array. this resulted in a wide, but sometwhat short bag. I should have set them out vertically. It just never crossed my mind,and now it's just too late. It's a good bag done in deep reds.

Today I'm going to try to do a little Seminole patchwork. I need to do some quick piecing and cross cutting for re-piecing, and this would be the perfect technique. When I was searching for red fabric etc for the lizards, I found two red totes already cut out ready to sew, including webbing for handles. This is a different style of tote--one I used to make for sale years ago. I used to hand embroider a decorative panel for the front. I'm going to make them up using the Seminole patchwork for the decorative panel, and then offer them for sale at the sale in April. This will get rid of a little more of the junk, I won't have to buy anything to make them, and maybe I can get a buck or two.

No comments: