Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Quiet times

The down side of having melted that plastic on the iron is that I ended up with it all over the ironing board cover. So, fnally, after procrastinating for almost 18 months I changed the cover. This is a major operation. My ironing board is old and a little wider than newer ones. I've had it since I was first married (43 years). The mechanism to raise and lower it has broken, and it remains up all the time. But I wouldn't part with it for any price. So I have to lift it up onto the work table --with the legs up. Then I cut off the old cover, position the new one in place and sew that on. The whole operation takes about an hour, and my biggest fear is that I'm going to smash one of the ceiling tiles when I'm moving the thing. It must be sewn on, because it is wider than usual, and the store bought covers don't fit

There has been little of interest on tv lately, so I've been re-playing the Quilting Arts TV videos that I bought. When you see several of them at a time, you come away with impressions more than outright ideas. The impression I have is of small quilted pieces, with few redeeming features ( to my mind-others might think they're marvelous) Many of them have one focal piece of fabric, with other fabrics arranged around the focus without any obvious plan. Then some words are stamped on. This is not to say that all the examples in the shows are like this. I've also seen some fantastic pieces, but I think they might be in the minority. So my question is this. If this is what is being shown through a high profile, highly respected source, does that mean that this is the sort of thing that is selling? Since my work is so different, am I right off the wall with my work? Or does this represent the run of the mill work being done, and is the "different" stuff the more desirable?

No comments: